School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
What is SHAC?
A School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is a school board appointed advisory group comprised of individuals who represent different segments of the community. The group acts collectively to provide advice to the HISD on aspects of the school district’s health program.
Why do we need SHAC?
• It’s Texas Law: Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code
• Healthy children learn better
Components of a Coordinated School Health Program:
• Health instruction
• Healthy school environment
• Health services
• Physical Education
• School Counseling
• Food Service
• Health Promotion for Staff
• Family and Community involvement